Friday, March 4, 2011

One school week over!

From the first minute of the first day of our "total immersion language school" we have not heard more than 20 words of English in 4 hours per day.  Ken hears less than I do.  Despite this I am still woefully illiterate in the Italian dialogue.  While Ken feels even more challenged than I do, he is far ahead of me.  We have 2 hours of grammar in the morning and 2 hours of conversation in the afternoon.  Ken is now in my morning class making the total of 4 old fogies (3 Americans and 1 Canadian) and 4 kids (Greek, Dutch, Spanish and English), two of whom are doing their "gap" year and a British young woman in her early 30s.  If you haven't heard the term "gap year" it means taking a break between high school and college.  Talk about a polyglot!

Today I walked back to school to see a film.  I was told it was by a famous director, Carlo Verdone, and I wasn't familiar with his work.  I  asked if the film would be subtitled and was told yes.  Stupido!!!!! It was subtitled all right, in Italiano!  Italian movie with Italian subtitles???? Go figure.  Forgot, this is Italy and there is no rhyme or reason.

Ken and I get up every morning about 7:15 (enough of a shock since we are normally are late sleepers) and make the 5 minute walk to school by 9.  The school is 4 long flights up.  Most days we walk it, but there is an aging elevator.  After school we either come home for lunch, have it out in one of the numerous shops or go shopping at the supermarcato.  Ahhhhhhh....the supermarcato.  It reminds me of the outdoor markets I've seen in many larger towns in both America and Europe.  Only this market is indoors.  At least all the meat, cheese, oil, fish, pasta, and bread counters are.  There are several stalls and it's huge.  You can also grab lunch inside, too.  The upstairs used to be open for fruits and vegetable vendors.  I think the upstairs is being renovated because it's closed off.  Instead the fruit and veggie vendors are outside in a large plastic heated tent.  

We were at the marcato yesterday and made sure not to leave by one of the doors because there were 3 women "zingary" known to you as gypsies waiting there and we are always told to avoid them for obvious reasons.   I haven't seen the male gypsies yet, but they may be incognito.  Who knows. 

Ken is going to the market tomorrow for me and, hopefully, will take some pictures.  It's quite a sight.

Every night starting around 7 we hear large vendor carts being pushed somewhere for the night.  The vendors on the street around Piazza San Lorenzo sell absolutely every kind of clothing, pocketbook, scarf, trinket, cards, paper, you-name-it.   It all disappears at night only to come out around 8 the next morning.  There's a large sign in the middle of this that says it's a crime to buy counterfeit.  I remember years ago that tourists would buy a pocketbook and the counterfeiter would stamp it Gucci while they waited.  This wasn't a problem for me as I didn't even want to pay the counterfeit price!

So it's the weekend and we hope to recuperate.  Our brains and ( in my case, stomach) are fried.  I hope to feel better by Sunday and go to Viareggio for what were are told is a true Carnevale adventure.  If not I may send Ken with his camera and at least get a second hand glimpse of it. 

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment